Each year, the National Golf Coaches Association names women's collegiate golf First Team, Second Team and Honorable Mention NGCA All-American Teams for Division I, II & III.
The selection process for this prestigious honor is quite rigorous and is determined by the NGCA Awards Committee for each Division.
- The chairperson of the NGCA Awards Committee will receive the names of the Top 60 players (30 players for Division II and III) from the Golfstat and Golfweek/Sagarin Rankings. A copy of each of the players’ tournament profiles for the current year will be sent to the NGCA Awards Committees.
- Each player under consideration for this honor must have competed a minimum of 15 rounds (12 for Division II and III) during the competitive year, including NCAA Regional Championships (n/a for Division III.)
- Each Awards Committee member will review the tournament profiles of all candidates and will make comparisons between the players. Criteria used to evaluate each player are as follows:
- Head to Head Competition
- Comparison with common opponents
- Scoring average (adjusted)
- Place finishes in regular season events and tournament wins
- Strength of schedule
- The criteria will be prioritized in the above order if a decision becomes difficult to determine. The NCAA Medalist is always an automatic First Team selection. Also the top 10 finishers at the NCAA Championship, if not already included on one of the All-American teams, will be included in the Honorable Mention category of NGCA All-American.
- Each NGCA Awards Committee member is responsible to be well informed about the best players in their region. Please contact your regional representatives if you would like to discuss a potential All-American candidate or have additional information that would be helpful in the evaluation of a specific player.
- The Division I NGCA All-American Teams will consist of 35 total players . Each team - First Team, Second Team and Honorable Mention - will consist of 11-11-13 players each. For Division II, the optimal number of All-Americans is 18 and 20 for Division III.
- All-American Teams will be announced at the NGCA Awards Banquets conducted during each respective Division's NCAA Championship.